Take advantage of our priceless seaside location and sail with us this summer. Exposing your children to sailing at an early age has endless benefits.
Beyond the practical skills acquired through hands on learning, the intangible lessons learned through sailing enhance all aspects of your child's development.
Studies have shown that sailing education helps to increase muscle strength and endurance, improve cardiovascular fitness and mental wellness, lower stress, increase agility, improve concentration and spatial awareness as well as improve communication and organizational skills.
For over 50 years, this program as developed generations of youth sailors many of whom have competed at the high school and even collegiate levels.
Take a look at the many options that we have for all ability levels and feel fee to contact the Recreation Department if you have any questions.
- Participants must be at least 8 and entering 3rd grade
- Emphasis is on safety, skills on and off the water and most of all FUN
- U.S. Coast Guard Life jacket required
- Proper footwear is required at all times
- Each new participant must provide documentary proof of ability to swim 100 yards, float 3 minutes and tread water for 3 minutes at first class.
- Acceptable proofs are YMCA swim certificate, Red Cross swim certificate, BSA-GSA Swim Merit Badge or any equivalent approved by the Recreation Department.
- Designed for first time sailors and sailors that have not yet graduated to independent sailing.
- Classes include parts of the boat, rigging, tacking, jibing, helmsmanship, points of sail, sail handling, knot tying, crew work and capsizing.
- There will be a special class for Teens
This course is for the sailor with at least 2 years of sailing who is ready for the next level.
The focus is on enhancing basic skills and independent sailing.
This course covers helmsmanship, rigging, sail trim, sail shape controls
and safety skills through daily sailing drills and exercises.
- This course is for the sailor who can rig, control,tack and jibe a boat safely.
- Must have at least 2 years of Intermediate Sailing completed
- Students will learn how to sail a 420
- Students will learn how to plot the most efficient route to a destination based on wind direction, speed, tide and currents
- You must be 13 years or older competent sailor with experience sailing a 420.
- This course will cover racing starts, mark roundings, racing rules and skill building drills.